PLCA Board of Directors Meeting

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

7:30 pm SAWDAC

Chairperson: Art Zymerman – President - present

Executive: Donna McKenna – Vice-president -present

Lorne Wallace – Treasurer - present

Sarah Hammell – Secretary -

Jaime McClintock – Executive – present

Directors: Ken Roth – Township Councillor - present

Larry Hackbart – North Shore – present

Dawn Rosa – Bayview – present

Tony Fieder – Rhodes Road - present

Kevin Axt – Clergy Lane - present

Kathleen Zymerman – McCormick Point - present

Todd Christensen – Irish Creek -

Doreen Tschanz – Eagle Lane & Recording Secretary - present

Non-Voting Participants:

David Mitten – Past President - present

Dave Taliano – Dredge Company - present

Paul Wyszynski – present

Donna O’Krafka – present

Meeting to order at 7:33 pm

Motion: To approve the September minutes made by Dawn Rosa; 2nded by Kathleen Zymerman; carried

Calendars – Donna O’Krafka offered to make a 2019 calendar.  She was hoping that they would be a bigger seller.  The area reps need to sell more.

Township Grant – Art Zymerman sent a letter but the township office mailing address changed but Karen Landry contacted him and all is well …...we are on the budget list for review

Dredging – Dave Taliano

All is very well with more mud than in Mitten Bay…...it is dense and massive…. the dredge gets stuck often because of so much mud.  Wind can be a problem and blow dredge toward rocks at small islands.

The GRCA and MNR permits need to be renewed…. the board needs to decide what to do …the MNR permit will be costly as Stan Denhoed needs to get an engineer approval……do not know if MNR will have new requirements

Northshore must be done in 2019 and permits will be necessary

The board will prepare a decision for the permits at the November meeting.

Stan Denhoed or Dave Taliano needs to contact MNR to ascertain their requirements for 2019 permit so that we know if he can copy & paste current permit which will be less money for Stan to do.

Treasurer Report – Lorne Wallace

Lorne assembled a donor list with Larry Hackbart’s help to recognize donors from the Home Tour boats.

HST refund money was received.

Bottomline: PLCA needs to raise money because of a deficit.  Lorne asked if an Eblast could ask for money and suggested that any area rep who was uncomfortable asking residents for money to call him and he would help…...reps need to have a conversation with residents

Fundraising – Donna McKenna

Home Tour – 5 homes are good for the tour with Klager Island as a possible 6th stop.

Hoe-down –  

Valentine Show –

Website – Donna O’Krafka

Donna introduces Meredith Wolf as a volunteer to takeover the website.  The board accepted.

Rookie of the Year Award – Lorne Wallace suggested initiating this award to go with the Harry Gingrich Award.

University Involvement – Lorne Wallace suggested that a board member take this on to get universities involved to do research and data collecting for the lake.  Jaime McClintock volunteered to do so …...send her data already recorded.

Adjourned at 9:30 pm.

Next Meeting

Wednesday, November 14, 2018      7:30 pm

SAWDAC

ACTIONS

  1. Mel is working on the new bylaws

  2. Mel & Donna O’Krafka are working on the New Resident Info booklet.

  3. Dave Taliano will ascertain from the MNR what 2019 permit requirements will be or ask Stan Denhoed to do so.

  4. Jaime McClintock will ask her sister at Univ. of Calgary about involvement in lake research and data.  

Board Minutes for September 12, 2018

PLCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING, SAWDAC

Chairperson: Art Zymerman – President - present

Executive: Donna McKenna – Vice-president – present

Lorne Wallace – Treasurer -

Sarah Hammell – Secretary -

Jaime McClintock – Executive – present

Directors: Ken Roth – Township Councillor – present

Larry Hackbart – North Shore – present

Dawn Rosa – Bayview – present

Tony Fieder – Rhodes Road - present

Kevin Axt – Clergy Lane -

Kathleen Zymerman – McCormick Point - present

Todd Christensen – Irish Creek - present

Doreen Tschanz – Eagle Lane & Recording Secretary - present

Non-Voting Participants:

David Mitten – Past President

Dave Taliano – Dredge Company - present

Paul Wyszynski – present Michel Thibault

MEETING TO ORDER AT 7:35 PM

Motion: To approve the August minutes made by Mel Spencer; 2nded by Larry Hackbart; carried

Treasurer Report – Lorne Wallace absentia

Lorne’s financial Report – Aug 31, 2018 was handed out – need more donations

Fundraising – Donna McKenna

Hoe-down – made a profit of $6000+ - all tickets were sold out and other tickets were used.  The Tschanz farm will host the 2019 Hoedown.

Survey – Mel Spencer

Mel presented a draft double-sided survey with a cover letter with resident’s name, list of residents for tracking returns and a donation form.

Discussion: The consensus was that resident names not be on the survey as residents may be reluctant to fill it out then…Also, no donation form to be included.

Trailer Park – Jaimie McClintock

There will be a dozen Park Trailers replacing travel trailers in the park.  Jaimie said that these summer homes are substantial price tag bringing a different level of park residents to the McClintock Park.  She believes that these new summer residents will want to be a new lake area with their own rep on the PLCA board of directors.

Dredging Report – Dave Taliano

The massive floating weeds with roots is a province wide phenomena.

Rain has raised the lake level somewhat make dredge navigation better and allowing heavier loads.  The site has massive and good mud with ridges. We are at halfway point for this year dredging. Then private south and east shore dredging begins.

Dave wants to emphasize and have Mel Spencer E-blast a warning to boaters that the dredge is bringing up 20-40-foot submerged old old trees that sometimes escape, float off and submerge again causing boating hazards in the south shore slalom course area.

The tug needed repair after taking out back end on a rock.

Approximately 400 rock truck loads of material have been removed to the pit,

Bottomline – 2018 has been a good year for dredging but soil sales are in a slump.

Calendars – the board needs to know if this is a profitable venture and then decide whether to have 2019 calendars.

Big Island Stewardship

The island is owned by the Heritage Foundation and currently GRCA is the steward.  The GRCA has asked the PLCA to take over this job but the draft contract has some draw backs:

!) the PLCA would need Liability Insurance

2) Fauna and vegetation would need to be inventoried.

The benefit of becoming Steward of Big Island would enhance the PLCA as a charitable organization that would be manager of a piece of land.

Township Grant Application – Art asked Councillor Roth if he should send a letter to the Township Council to let them know that he will be asking for a grant again this year.  The Councillor said to do s

Questions to Politicians – Lorne Wallace in absentia

Discussion – The PLCA is not a political organization.  The PLCA encourages residents to attend and ask questions at the Thursday, October 4th All Candidates meeting at the Puslinch Community Centre.

Motion to adjourn by Dawn Rosa; 2nded by Larry Hackbart.  Adjourned at 8:52 pm.

NEXT MEETING WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2018 7:30 PM SAWDAC

ACTIONS

  1. Mel Spencer will finish the PLCA Bylaw revision formatting for board approval.

  2. Donna McKenna & Mel Spencer & Kathleen Zymerman will continue working on the New Resident Info Booklet.

  3. Mel Spencer will send an Eblast warning boater residents of hazardous old 20-40-foot trees near the South Shore slalom course.

  4. The Boars will decide whether or not to produce 2019 calendars.

  5. Art Zymerman will send a letter to Township Council informing them that the PLCA will be asking for a grant for 2019.

Mel Spencer will Eblast residents to encourage them to attend the Thursday, October 4th All Candidates meeting at the Puslinch Community Centre.